Press Statement By Abdul Aziz:
According to a recent report by Malay Mail, PAS President Abdul Hadi Awang apparently took a swipe at the minorities in this country, saying that the minorities are “scheming for political power”.
I take offence with Hadi Awang’s grotesques remark. True Malaysians should too. It’s unbecoming for a person like him to ever come up with such a remark judging from his position as president of an Islamic political party. This doesn’t reflect the value of Islam that majority of Muslims in Malaysia adhere. While many of us can cite the Rukun Negara by-heart, let us not forget the preamble of our national philosophy which outlines the ambition of an inclusive, just and equitable Malaysian society:
- Achieving a more perfect unity amongst the whole of her society (Mencapai perpaduan yang lebih erat dalam kalangan seluruh masyarakatnya);
- Preserving a democratic way of life (Memelihara cara hidup demokratik);
- Creating a just society where the prosperity of the country can be enjoyed together in a fair and equitable manner (Mencipta satu masyarakat yang adil di mana kemakmuran negara akan dapat dinikmati secara adil dan saksama);
- Guaranteeing a liberal approach towards the rich and varied cultural traditions (Menjamin satu cara liberal terhadap tradisi-tradisi kebudayaannya yang kaya dan berbagai corak); and
- Building a progressive society that will make use of science and modern technology (Membina satu masyarakat progresif yang akan menggunakan sains dan teknologi moden).
A true Malaysian uphold these ambitions. These are not Western colonialist ideals, nor are they mere words to be regurgitated; these ideals establish our national identity, our shared vision for this nation built upon by Malays, Chinese, Indians, Sarawakians and Sabahans. This is our national consensus, instituted by royal proclamation. To suggest otherwise is to undermine our nationally endorsed liberal, democratic and progressive way of life promulgated by the late Tun Abdul Razak.
I believe Malaysians are smart enough to see for themselves the motivation behind Hadi Awang’s statement—to sow division, distrust and disunity in order for Malaysians to pit against each other.
But Hadi Awang has lost the plot. If he has not noticed, ordinary folks have shown their solidarity amongst each other while demonstrating distrust against those who run the country with their #KitaJagaKita hashtag.
Abdul Aziz Isa
Special Assistant to YB Chong Chieng Jen
DAP Batu Kitang Chairman
DAPSY Stampin Chief